This café from 1953 is inspired by the Portuguese conquering of the city of Ceuta, in the north of Africa. Its architect, Carlos Neves, wanted to follow the trend of creating different light effects, and for that he used a system of lamp shades. The cafe was known to be frequented by ministers and other political figures.
Inaugurated on July 18th, 1953, the venue was for a long time, a place for cultural get together and political encounters, and it is now reborn maintaining its original features by Nuno Castro, entrepreneur.
The rehabilitation works maintained the splendor of the marbles, the crystals, the tables, the counters, the panels, and paintings, in a retro decoration alluding to the conquest of Ceuta, with the charm of the 1950s.
The house underwent remodeling works and was closed for more than two years, also due to the pandemic.
In Porto, the historic café-restaurant from the 1950s, which was the setting for films as well as literary gatherings and political meetings, has reopened its doors, completely renovated, but keeping its traces and memories – such as the pool tables in the basement.
Almost everything has been polished and restored, from the tables to the panels depicting the conquest of Ceuta. In addition to the original marbles, railings, lamps and other items, several pieces of the emblematic café-restaurant that were once the scene of literary gatherings and political meetings were rescued from oblivion.
Let us also recall that Café Ceuta was the set for a scene in the movie “Porto”, the first widely distributed film by Brazilian director Gabriel Cinge, which placed the city in the international cinema route.
The movie was awarded in the La Biennale di Venezia Festival and has contributed to put Porto in the world cinematographic roadmap.